Need tips on how to stay keto during your family’s traditional holiday meals? You are not alone! Here is a quick cheat sheet on a few items that comply with a keto diet along with tips on how to stay ahead of temptation.
Remember keto is about low carb intake and avoiding highly processed foods. So the following traditional items may come as a surprise that they’re amazing just the way they are and others may only need slight adjustments to “keep it keto”.
- Turkey: This is 100% low carb so dig in!
- Rolls: Find Keto-friendly pre-made breads or make your own from scratch.
- Broccoli cheese casserole: Tasty and keto-compliant! Add freshly cracked black pepper to make your taste buds sing.
- Simple vegetable sides: Green beans, brussels sprouts, spinach, corn--you know the drill.
- Mashed Cauliflower: No potatoes allowed, but you can still indulge in this creamy, cheesy dish.
Tips on Keeping it Keto
- The more you know, the less you will fail. Download apps that tells you exactly what is in food if you need to. The trick to beating temptation is knowing when to say no and what you’re saying yes to. It helps you make healthy, Keto-friendly choices.
- Plan activities away from the dinner table or couch. Encourage friends and family to take a trip, go see a movie, or just walk around your local town. The holidays offer many free events and opportunities to stay active.
- Eat smart. Events will be plentiful and each one will offer its own bevy of food temptations. Plan to eat prior to the events or take your Keto-friendly food with you on the go. Fresh Meal Plan offers a variety of snacks to keep you eating right from house to house.
- If you fall, don’t stay down. Moments of weakness can appear quickly and feel beyond your control. Show yourself a little mercy if it happens, and then immediately jump back to your Keto way of eating.
- Don’t stress too much about it. ‘Tis the season, fa-la-la-la-la, deck the halls and all that good stuff. Keep in mind that the holidays are just for a few weeks but Keto is a lifestyle.
You do not have to take the fun out of holiday celebrations to maintain your Keto diet. By incorporating these tips and foods into your holiday rounds, you can rest assured that your waistline won’t get to the New Year before you do!